Thursday, July 28, 2011

Alice in Wonderland Part 2


Here are the official lovely photos from Jennifer Jasso's daughter's Alice in Wonderland themed 1st birthday party. All photos are by Jennifer Jasso.

At the end of the photos, see directions for the fondant decorations in the photos.













Fondant Decoration Tips:

I used marshmallow fondant tinted in various shades for all of the decorations. Edible food pins were used to add details to the tea cups, clocks, playing cards and Mad Hatter hats.

Marshmallow Fondant Recipe:

-4 cups mini marshmallows
-4 cups confectioners sugar
-2 tbsp water

Combine the marshmallows and water in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. If the marshmallows are not fully melted when stirred, microwave for another 15-30 seconds. Stir marshmallow until completely smooth and if possible, add food coloring at this stage (kneading in the food coloring after making a white batch certainly works, but is messy and kind of a pain in the butt). Add powdered sugar until it will not mix any longer. Knead with hands and continue to add powdered sugar until mixture is a play-doh consistency and is no longer sticky.

To roll out, sprinkle confectioners sugar on a clean, flat surface and roll with a plastic fondant pin.

Mad Hattar Hats:

A marshmallow was wrapped in green fondant and then I added a circular disc of fondant to the bottom of the marshmallow with a bit of buttercream. I wrote the 10/6 on a small square of white fondant and attached this to the hat with buttercream as well.

Tea Cups:

I'm pretty positive there is an easier way of creating tea cups from fondant, but I basically used a "pinch pot" method until I had the right size and smoothness. These were very time consuming. I then rolled a small snake of fondant and attached it to create the handle.

Clocks:

These were very simple. I cut out circles of white fondant and drew on a yellow rim around the clock with an edible food pen. Edible food pens were also used to draw on the clock's dashes and numbers.

Playing Cards:

These were also pretty easy. I cut out small, thick rectangles from white rolled fondant and drew the numbers and suits on with edible food pen.

NOTE: Prior to drawing and fondant and using on cupcake, allow to dry to a sturdy consistency.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I am your newest follower, found you from The Cupcake Blog and I love all I have seen so far. I love these cupcakes! So creative! Beautiful pictures and setting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there!

    Thanks so much for following my blog and for your very nice comments. I really like your blog too! I LOVE the chocolate Hello Kitty cookies- I'm a big fan of hers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just became a follower today, you do beautiful work, especially your fondant designs. Love the simple elegance of your blog and especially the 'magical' theme in your title!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! Thank you so much for the sweet feedback (no pun intended :) ). And thanks so much for becoming a follower! I really appreciate you taking the time to look at my blog.

    ReplyDelete